Monday, February 17, 2014

Stake Conference, a visit from Elder Christensen of the Seventy, and first mission council

February 17, 2014

Muchas gracias por la carta que me escribiste. Esta semana nos fue bien. Cada semana tengo experiencias buenas, y otras que no son tan buenas. El punto es que quiero enfocarme en las cosas buenas que pasaron esta semana. Fui al consejo (council) de la mision por la primera vez y aprendi mucho. El dia siguiente tuvimos una conferencia con Elder Christensen de los setenta. Al estar en la conferencia tuve la oportunidad de ver a muchos de mis mejores amigos de la mision. Platique por un rato con Elder De la Mora, mi companero preferido. Aprendi mucho en la conferencia tambien. La mejor experiencia de la semana fue esta, fuimos a la casa de una hermana, menos activa para cambiar carpetas de area con las misioneras. Cuando llegamos a la casa de la hermana me dijo, "Elder Jarvis, tenia muchas ganas de conocerlo." Me hizo sentir un poco incomodo, pero despues me dijo porque. Entonces, estabamos sentados en la mesa, los cuatro misioneros, y la hermana me dijo que queria hablar conmigo. La semana anterior, habiamos hablado con el esposo de esa hermana, los dos fueron misioneros y el ha sido inactivo por 5 o 6 anos y tambien fuma. Solo hablamos con el por 5 o 10 minutos y no recuerdo mucho de lo que le dije. Lo que si recuerdo, es que mas temprano en ese mismo dia habiamos pasado a visitar a otros miembros, algunos activos, otros menos activos, y en casi todos los casos yo pude saber solo al ver a los miembros si eran activos o menos activos. Yo pense, que el esposo de esa hermana era un miembro activo, lo senti, y al final de la conversacion con el, nos dijo, " ustedes si saben que no soy activo verdad? Y le dijimos que no sabiamos. Cuando nos fuimos, yo lo abrace, como casi siempre hacemos con los hombres. 

Entonces la esposa de el me pregunta, "que dijo a mi esposo?" y le dije "no se disculpeme si le ofendi, y mi dijo, no "lo que dijo fue algo bueno." Cuando su esposo me vio, el sintio que ya me conocia, desde la vida preterrenal. El no quiere hablar con los misioneros ni con el Obispo tampoco, pero si hablaria conmigo. Me hizo sentir muy bien. 

I wrote letters yesterday night to Lola, the Diaz Lopez family, Magda, Carmen, Montserrat, and Lupita, from Tuxpan, and to the Alcaraz family from Guzman. 

The new apartment is nice, it is really big, 2 stories, the only thing I don´t like about it, is that we are separated sometimes, for instance, the bathroom is downstairs and we sleep and study upstairs, and I don´t like that, but the house is nice.  We have beds and bed stands and a table, we don´t have chairs yet, we took two from the church to use. We have an electric stove, and we have a microwave, we have one very little fan, and are planning on buying another one or two this week, we want to buy a fridge, but the only gave us 2,000 pesos to buy it with, and that is not very much. 

It is getting a little bit easier being around sisters. Elder Calixto and I cleaned the house for a long time, studied for Zone Conference tomorrow and ate some good food. We ate quesadillas and tortas and I had a milkshake. It has been a fun day, Elder Webb and his comp. called and sang me the mananitas. We also found a less active family of 5 yesterday that we are going to visit tonight, and one of our investigators Pedro came to church yesterday, so that was pretty awesome.

 Mananitas is the happy birthday song. Tortas are sandwiches, or something parecido. I don´t know the other word for sandwich. Did you read the article by president Eyring in the Liahona of January? I really liked it. It was kind of funny when we visited the large family because the three kids were there, 16, 12, and 7 years old, and the 7 year old was scared to death of me, I think because of my larger than the average Mexican size. Their parents were both sleeping. Zone Conference is here tomorrow, combined with the other Colima zone, we are going to buy Subway sandwiches, and my companion and I have to teach for 30 minutes. 

My companion and I get along fine, not too great, and not too bad. He gave me a blessing one night this week, I woke up screaming and had apparently punched the metal door as well, I do not remember doing that, but he says I did. But, after the blessing I was fine. We finally got our beds and bed stands this week as well.   I was dreaming that I was shouting, and  Elder Calixto as well, but turns out I was the only one shouting.

We are the Centenario Ward, in the Colima Stake. Our stake president served his mission in Salt Lake, was an A.P. and his wife was serving in Temple Square and that is where they knew each other. 

I was also able to get some weights set up this week that actually weigh quite a bit, and also set my record for jumping rope, I did it for 3 minutes and 45 seconds consecutively. 

Sorry I've got to go.  Thanks for the letters, have a good week.

Love,
the elder Elder Jarvis


No comments:

Post a Comment