Thursday, April 3, 2014

Elder Jarvis "the perfectionist"

March 24, 2014

We had a fun, scary, crazy week this week. The big eventful day was Tuesday. So, my companion received a call in the morning from a person who wanted us to visit him in the morning, we ended up leaving at 9 in the morning to go teach him. Anyways, we should be studying from 8 to 10 30, but we decided to leave and go teach him, bad idea. We met up with this guy thinking we were going to teach a lesson, and instead, he takes us into this government building. He was trying to speak to me in English, maybe trying to translate for me, trying to show off his english, or who knows what, but anyways, his english was very hard to understand and his spanish was not much better. He ends up introducing us to all of these women, just shaking their hands. Then, we left that building and he wanted to take us somewhere else, and Elder Calixto is talking about what we were going to do, and we decided to go home, I did not feel good about continuing to walk around with this guy. So, we walked home, and we both felt absolutely awful when we got there, the spirit had left us. So, for what was left of our companionship study, we just sang, in English and Spanish. Then, we did some fun practices in our language study. That night, we couldn't sleep and ended up locking and closing all of the doors and windows, and I gave my companion a blessing, and he said a prayer to cast all of the bad spirits out of the house, and we finally slept a little bit. We were really worried about what had happened earlier in the day, but we think we found our today why we really felt bad. Last night in the middle of the night, someone started listening to music with some ridiculously loud speakers, my companion got up and shut the windows, and said that there was a really nice hummer outside and we are just a little bit worried about what some people who live somewhere near to us may be up to. 

We also had a really good lesson this week. We taught Maria, who works for a less active member, and the member as well, but focusing on her friend. We taught her the Restoration and the spirit was felt so strongly! I recited the first vision to her really slowly, and then afterwards just took a long pause, and I felt the spirit so strongly, I think that she did too, and then she accepted a baptismal date for the 26th of April. It is weird because we have to put baptismal dates a long time away because people have to come to church 5 times before they can be baptized, and we are going to have to start putting baptismal dates in May, when I am not even going to be here, and it is so weird! Daniel and Gabriela and Ulices came to church yesterday, and Cecilia did as well. Daniel and Gabriela talk about the wonderful lesson we had with them all the time. 100 people came to church yesterday. We went with the bishop today and the 4 sisters in our district to a museum, it was nice that the Bishop took time out of his day to do that, but it was boring. Afterwards, the bishop bought us drinks and my companion and I bought tortas. Tomorrow we have a capacitation with President Wagner and we are going to eat Tortas again. Elder Zarate is coming to stay with us tonight, sleepover! 

On Friday night, we got home at 8 20, and we do not have to be home until 9. We had already bought food, and were going to plan and eat, but I pretty much told Elder Calixto, that I wanted to go work again. So, we went looking for a less active family, I do not think my companion was too happy about leaving the house to go work again, and to make things worse, the first family we visited was not there, so, my companion, a little frustrated with me, started to walk really fast, so I kept up with him because I had to, and after walking faster and longer than I ever had in my life, we found a less active family who just moved here about 3 months ago from Aguascalientes. The father served a mission and they have 4 young kids, 3 strong little boys and a little girl, sound familiar? 

The next day, we were eating some awesome tostadas, and my companion ended up getting a big rash on his face, so we went home, and he slept for awhile, I of course would not let myself do that, and so I cleaned the house a little bit, ironed some shirts, and read a talk from Elder Bednar. I also had to read a little bit of my companions journal, and I read about what  he wrote about the walking like crazy experience, and I liked it. He wrote something like this, translating of course, ¨"We got home at 8 20, we had bought eggs and chocolate and milk and bread, and I was ready to eat and plan, but Elder Jarvis, the perfectionist says, "I feel lazy, we should go work," And I thought, perfectionist, I can take that, it was pretty funny. 

Elder Calixto gave me a really nice compliment as well, he said that he when he only has 5 weeks left in his mission he wants to work how I am working.

 I set my jump rope record, jumping for 24 minutes and 15 seconds continually, I was coming up on 3,000 jumps. This morning I did 1,100 reps with the weights. My companion has been working out like crazy and has said some really nice things to me this week. The zone is doing fine. A new elder arrived this week, who is in the other Colima zone, Elder Barker, he went to Dixie High School and graduated early to leave on his mission, he would have graduated at the end of this school year. He was a kicker for the football team and is going to be a kicker at the U of U after his mission, he is not that tall. Yesterday after we ate lunch, I shared Alma 42 vs. 4 and then they the people we were with asked me to share the message I had shared in English, and I struggled with it. 

It is kinda funny, as you already know, when a missionary stops working they say he is "dying," and I do not want to die. I try to think of it like this. We can compare the mission to life. And, when I am 90 years old and close to dying, I can´t just "die," or the missionary equivalent of dying, which would mean, to stop keeping the commandments, if that makes any sense at all. Thanks for sending the garments, treats, and money as well. On Monday, we saw a missionary who had just gotten home and was about to be released, it was really weird, it did not make me feel good. I worry about how I am going to handle being home.

I felt a little bit like you on Saturday when I started to clean the house, I thought to myself, I´ve got some time on my hands I ought to clean the house, I maybe have changed a little bit. I think I have finally realized that to feel the spirit, the house has got to be clean, I have also learned, that when things are not going well, the solution, is to be more obedient.  

No comments:

Post a Comment